Thursday, April 12, 2012

Wikia

 There are so many different types of social media available to us its hard to pick just one.  I honestly think, sometimes the internet is just too much.  There's so many different things bombarding me everyday that I really just don't need.  Brogan does a great job describing the basic functions of each thing its really interesting that there is that much out there at our disposal.  Each social media has a different function but I really don't see myself using everything that was mentioned.

To sum it up, wikis are great.  They are extremely collaborative and often very helpful.  I have been a video gamer for a long time and would use specific wikis to help me when playing a game.  Its great because everyone shares information often more in depth then the game developer even intended.  The idea behind wikis to me still has me fascinated.  How on earth can someone manage all that information that people are constantly updating daily.  Overall, Wikis are a great tool for basic research on whatever topic your trying to look up.  Most people don't realize there are more wikis then just Wikipedia.  In reality there is probably a wiki for anything you could possibly think of.  Going by that I decided to look up a random wiki from wikia.com.

I decided to look up the Harry Potter wiki and you wouldn't believe how much information I could find.  http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

          There is information on just about anything you can think of with Harry Potter.  Detailed information about each movie, book, you name it.  If you want to find out more about a character and what they do in real life you can find it.  The site also makes good use of facebook and twitter which is how the wiki keeps those people using it most updated.  This wiki has been in collaborations for a long time now its really impressive to think that it was all generated by people.